Hooray for What to Wear week! We’re rolling right along, and today I’m tackling what to wear for mamas for your lifestyle newborn session.
Life changes in so many ways once you bring baby home. Your daily routine will be dramatically different from life-before-baby. Those first few weeks (especially if this is your first baby) will revolve around feeding and changing baby, as well as trying to squeeze in some rest when you can.
That’s why I suggest buying a couple outfits before baby arrives. While you’re probably dealing with pregnancy brain (which means you’ve probably put your car keys in the fridge at least once), it’s usually easier to shop while pregnant. Once baby arrives, leaving the house will involve a giant diaper bag, a car sear, a stroller, some kind of carrier, bottles of water for you, breast pads, nursing schedules… the list is endless. So go shopping now!
Here are my best what to wear tips for your lifestyle newborn session:
- Maxi dresses and skirts are very flattering! You don’t want anything tight or restricting. You’ll likely still be in maternity pants right after your newborn arrives. A blousy, flowing top will be the most flattering. You can have a couple outfits ready to go and I can always help you decide when I arrive.
- A cardigan or wrap can help you feel more comfortable if you’re feeling self-conscious about your post-baby body. Every mama struggles with this! I’m here to help with flattering poses and angles so that you look your best.
- As I’ve shared all along, solid colors look best. Try to avoid patterns, prints and logos. Think timeless and simple when selecting your outfit. Earth tones are universally flattering for moms and new babies.
- Hand baby off to dad for a few minutes so you can do your hair and makeup. Or, invite your mom or best friend over to help you get ready. It will be one less thing for you to do, and they will be thrilled to help (and everyone wants those newborn cuddles).
- Keep your accessories simple.
I can help style you when I arrive if you would like a second opinion. I only schedule one newborn session per day, so we have plenty of time to make happy memories of your family. Send me an email so we can discuss your ideal lifestyle newborn session.
Up next: what to wear tips for dads and siblings for newborn photos!