Fresh 48 photo sessions are held in the hospital in the first two days after birth. This is one of my favorite ways to celebrate new life because it captures the beauty and rawness of new parenthood.
If you’re considering a Fresh 48 photo session, here are 10 things to know:
01. Fresh 48 photos are a great alternative if you really want to hire a birth photographer, but you’re not sure if you want that person in the delivery room when you’re in labor. Whether it’s your first baby or not, you don’t know how you’ll feel about having someone else there until labor happens. We can schedule your Fresh 48 photo session whenever you’d like, and that means immediately after birth, if you want photos taken then.
02. Sometimes mamas-to-be are unsure about scheduling a hospital session because it doesn’t sound like the ideal place for pictures! Having a baby is one of the few times when being at the hospital is a really happy occasion, and that’s why these sessions are so magical. You spend months dreaming about what your baby will look like, and this is literally your only chance to capture that just arrived newness in photos.
03. These sessions are so low pressure and relaxed. I like to photograph using natural light, so we keep the lights off if possible. You’re welcome to play music for baby (or use a sound machine) if that’s what keeps you comfortable. If we happen to schedule your session around lunchtime, I’ll focus on baby and hubby while you eat.
04. Wondering what you’ll wear? I’ve got you covered here. Plus, I’ll send you a Celebrate Motherhood style magazine after you book with even more suggestions to make your session amazing.
05. If you’ll have family in town for the birth, grandparents and other family members are welcome to be there for your photos.
06. The newborn stage is over before you know it! For me, it always seemed like my kids were newborns until about six weeks old, and then they seemed more like babies instead of so brand new. We’ll make sure to get all of the sweet memories photographed – and you never even have to leave the hospital bed!
07. I get a lot of scheduling questions from parents who are considering these sessions. I take a select number of clients each month to accommodate schedule changes should baby come early or late. It can be a little trickier to put Fresh 48 sessions on a calendar since babies come whenever they want to, but my system has never failed me, even after three years of photographing these special sessions.
08. Should you worry about hair and makeup? That depends entirely on you! I can only recall a handful of new moms who went all out with hair and makeup after having a baby. The others just rocked that new mama glow! If you’re worried about how you’ll look in photos, but aren’t sure if you’ll feel like doing your hair and makeup, you have a couple options, all of which are covered in your Fresh 48 Style Guide!
09. I like to check in with clients about two days from her due date to see how everything is going. This is the time to let me know if your doctor is seriously considering induction or c-section. Otherwise, I wait for you or hubby to text me, either when you head to the hospital or when baby arrives! We’ll decide on a time for your session soon after delivery!
10. I’ve compiled more of my best suggestions for your Fresh 48 session in this checklist! This is the exact same checklist I send to clients just before their sessions to help them feel totally ready for photos. Grab your free copy here.
I specialize in luxe maternity, Fresh 48, at-home newborn sessions in Houston, Texas. A luxury photography experience is the perfect way to celebrate that adorable baby bump and your sweet newborn. If you’re ready to chat about a magical photo session celebrating you and your growing family, let me know your due date here! I’ll send you a beautiful Welcome guide filled with all the details!