Are you the kind of mama-to-be who likes to break the rules and do things your own way?
The best thing about your maternity photos is the don’t have to look like anyone else’s! After photographing lots of beautiful mamas over the past few years, I’ve see it all – traditional and creative. While every couple is totally different, one thing is always the same – every mama and dad-to-be can’t wait to meet that sweet baby.
A couple of my favorite non-traditional sessions include Maddie’s with her mama and Angela’s up on a rooftop. These two mamas were so brave to try something a little different, and it paid off with their gorgeous photos.
If you’re not into the usual earth tones and nature-themed settings, check out this list of gorgeous non-traditional maternity session ideas:
01. While lots of mamas wear pink for a girl and blue for a boy, there’s no reason you can’t change it up. You could wear a vibrant red or maroon instead, or even go glam with black. In fact, I have an entire selection of beautiful gowns, wraps and dresses in a variety of colors, patterns, lengths and fabrics, available exclusively to clients.
02. Skip the nature-themed session and opt for a location that has special meaning to you and your husband. Maybe that’s a favorite cafe or coffee shop. Are you book nerds? Let’s design a cute session at the library! What about revisiting your wedding venue? Just imagine the memories you’d make celebrating baby at the place where your love story began!
03. Most maternity sessions you see posted on Facebook and Instagram include the proud parents-to-be, but there’s no reason you can’t celebrate with your mom, your sister, your best friend… or anyone else who’s super excited to meet your baby.
04. Consider an intimate boudoir shoot in your home. What better time to rock those pregnancy curves and feel beautiful?
05. Shoot your session entirely in black & white. It’s a dramatic, lovely option for the right couple.
06. Plan a day-in-the-life session instead of the usual maternity shoot. This is where you’d document your daily routine around your home instead of planning a posed session. This is a sweet, unique way to show baby exactly what life was like while you were busy planning for his/her arrival.
07. If you don’t want to go totally crazy but still want to try something different, incorporate props in your session. You don’t have to stick with the usual ultrasound photos and blocks that spell out baby’s name! I love working fresh flowers into all of my photo sessions, along with other precious details like your baby shower invitation, a cute outfit you’ve bought for baby, etc.
08. You could celebrate with two mini sessions! Use your first one to surprise your husband with the news that you’re pregnant. Tell him it’s time to update your family photos and we’ll find a creative way to tell him he’s going to be a daddy! Your second mini could be more traditional baby bump photos.
09. Take your babymoon and hire a photographer there! Vacation + a beautiful session means gorgeous photos! Incorporate photos of you and hubby hiking, swimming and sightseeing… or catching some sun on the beach (I would totally go for this last option myself!)
10. Make it a big family session by inviting your parents and siblings to join you and your husband. It’s the perfect way to surround baby with love before birth.
Every maternity session should be unique, which is why I like to meet with mamas-to-be and design the session together. We’re so fortunate to live in an area with endless beautiful options for great locations for photos, no matter what time of year it is. In fact, I shot this winter maternity session in 30 degree weather – and it was soooo worth the freezing temps!
If you’re pregnant during the sauna of summer here in Houston, we can talk about indoor options, or we can plan a beautiful sunrise session when it’s usually cooler and less humid.
No matter when you’re due, here are five beautiful beautiful places for maternity photos in The Woodlands, TX